1. Food
Naomi Imatome-Yun

The White House Makes Kimchi!

By February 8, 2013

whitehousekimchiFirst Lady Michelle Obama tweeted that they were using the Napa cabbage from the White House garden to make kimchi. It's part of the Let's Move initiative, the awesome campaign to end childhood obesity in one generation.

Comments

February 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm
(1) Dawnelle says:

I’m glad to hear that kim chi is part of healthy eating education. I would like to have seen the recipe that was used. Hopefully, it has lots of garlic and the directions allow a few days of counter time to ensure good and sour taste.

February 13, 2013 at 3:20 pm
(2) Michael says:

I don’t subscribe to your newsletter for political commentary. I could care less about what Michelle Obama thinks about anything. I am here for the great Korean recipes. Thanks.

February 13, 2013 at 3:46 pm
(3) rydangel says:

@michael, it’s great that the First lady Michelle Obama is spreading the healthy benefits of korean cusine. If you enjoy korean food as much as you say, you should welcome any opportunity to share knowledge of how great korean foods are instead of bashing Michelle Obama’s attempt to get American children and families to eat healthier. How many more people will try to eat or even make kimichi because they heard the first family does?

February 13, 2013 at 6:08 pm
(4) Jean says:

The White House garden has cabbage in the middle of winter?

February 13, 2013 at 10:36 pm
(5) Michael says:

@rydangel. I totally disagree. The “lip service” Michelle Obama’s feeble attempt to get people to eat “healthier” is inconsequential at best. I really doubt there are any American families that are truly in need of a “healthier” diet that are paying much if any attention to what the First Lady is saying about the health benefits of kimchi. Rather they are focused on trying to survive. I think Michelle Obama would have had a much deeper and more substantial impact on the lives of “real” people in need had she actually used the estimated 1 million dollars she has spent on extravagant and frivolous vacations over the last 4 years to help them gain employment, get better job training, etc. ( newsmax.com/Newsfront/obama-vacation-taxpayer-cost/2012/07/19/id/445913 ) That’s 1 million dollars spent off the backs of the tax payers that will never be paid back. Her deeds betray her words. So please don’t lecture me about how I should feel about “Michelle Obama’s attempt to get American children and families to eat healthier.” And since this has now become a politically pro-Michelle Obama newsletter, instead of about Korean Cuisine, I will be canceling my subscription and moving on to another source that actually does talk about Korean Cuisine. Thank you.

February 14, 2013 at 1:00 am
(6) Susan says:

what a rightist loser

February 14, 2013 at 3:00 pm
(7) Michael says:

@Susan. So because I have a different opinion than yours, you resort to name calling. Typical Lib.

February 14, 2013 at 11:50 pm
(8) Pat says:

Yes Susan, someone who tries to use a forum on healty eating to promote political and cultural hatred is, in fact, a loser. I’m tired of the whining.

February 15, 2013 at 12:06 am
(9) Naomi says:

Thanks for your comments. Dawnelle, you can get their recipe if you click on the word “tweeted” in the post. I am an advocate of the “Let’s Move” campaign since I am American and a food writer and we are the most obese country in the world.

I don’t see any political commentary in my post but people see and hear what they want to see and hear. I saw a positive message in the tweet and more exposure for kimchi, which is full of health benefits.

February 20, 2013 at 1:33 pm
(10) Gary Dee says:

I grew up, in Hawaii, where Kim Chi was a common staple in most people’s diets. Most of the time, instead of grabbing a bowl of pop corn or a bag of chips, a dish of spicy Kim Chi was my favorite Friday night movie snack. I still make it, today, and the recipe for Kim Chi fried rice is now my favorite comfort food.

March 5, 2013 at 8:38 pm
(11) Phil says:

While Kimchi is in many ways a healthy food, let’s not gloss over the fact that it is also a very salty one, so consumption of it should be moderate. Too much salt is every bit as deadly as too much fat.