Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 pounds chicken breasts cut into large pieces*
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 onions, cut into large chunks
- 2 large potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 Tbsp hot pepper paste (kochujang)**
- 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes (kochukaru)**
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine chicken, carrot, onions, and potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, mix garlic, soy sauce, water, hot pepper paste, and red pepper flakes.
- Pour mixture over chicken and vegetables in pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes, until sauce has thickened.
* I almost always use skinless chicken breasts in this dish because they're healthier, but you can use thighs, large drumsticks, and even a whole chicken cut into pieces.
** This recipe is easily adjusted for different levels of spiciness. For a less spicy dish, you can use just a 1 Tbsp of pepper paste and no pepper flakes.