Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 cups medium-grain Korean (or Japanese) rice
- 1 large cucumber, sliced into thin strips
- 1.5 cups bean sprouts, parboiled and squeezed of excess water
- 1.5 cups spinach, parboiled and squeezed of excess water (3/4 lb before cooking)
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated if dried and then sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 lb meat (optional, both and cooked ground meat work well)
- Fried egg as a topping (optional)
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
- Cook rice in rice cooker or on the stove.
- Give cucumber strips a saltwater bath for 20 minutes and then drain.
- Season spinach with 2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp salt, and a dash of sesame seeds.
- Season bean sprouts with 2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp salt, and a dash of sesame seeds.
- Sauté carrots with a dash of salt.
- Sauté mushrooms with a dash of salt.
- Sauté zucchini with a dash of salt.
- Place cooked rice in large bowl and arrange vegetables on top.
- If desired, beef or egg can be placed in the center.
- Serve each with small bowls of red pepper paste (kochujang) and sesame oil.
- To eat, add a small amount of oil and desired amount of red pepper paste to your bowl and mix everything together with a spoon.