Every Korean household has a rice cooker, but there are times when you do need to make rice on the stove. If you need more rice than normal for a dinner party, if your rice cooker breaks, or if you're cooking in someone else's kitchen, then it's useful to know how to make rice the old-fashioned way.
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups short grain white rice
- Water to cover
- Rinse the rice with water and drain the cloudy water 3-4 times.
- Put rinsed rice in a sturdy pot (that has a tight-fitting lid) and cover with water. The water should be about 1 inch higher than the level of the rice.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat immediately to a low simmer.
- Do not remove the lid, and continue to steam rice for 12-15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat but leave the lid on, so that the rice will continue to steam for 5 minutes.