Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 8 Medium Korean radishes (if you can't find, use Daikon), peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 6 Tbsp sea salt
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3-4 green onions, sliced into 2 inch pieces
- 10 cups of water (about 2 quarts)
- Carrots, chili peppers, or Asian pears (optional)
- Coat radishes with 3 Tbsp of salt and 2 Tbsp of sugar. Let stand for 1 day at room temp.
- After 1 day, dissolve 3 Tbsp of salt and 2 Tbsp of sugar into warm water.
- Add liquid to salted radishes, garlic, green onions, and any other vegetables you are using. Let stand for 1-2 days at room temp.
- When broth has achieved a tart, vinegary flavor, store in refrigerator.
- To serve, ladle vegetables and generous amount of broth into a cup or small bowl.
*It's best to make this kimchi in a large glass jar, but whatever container you use, make sure to leave room at the top for the gases released during the fermentation process.