Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 5 minutes
- 1 pound brisket, beef shank, or lean stew meat, cut into large chunks
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 green chili peppers
- 3-4 medium boiled egg, peeled (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Simmer gently for 1-2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- If adding eggs, put in 15 minutes before end of cooking time.
- Let cool, remove meat and slice or shred into small strips.
- Return to liquid with garlic cloves and peppers and serve.
(Serves 8 as a side dish)
Like many salted Korean side dishes, changjorim will stay good for a couple weeks if stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Because it is very salty, it is usually eaten in small amounts with rice and other dishes.