Galbitang is a rich but delicate soup made from short ribs, Korean radish, and glass noodles. Some people like to add some chili seasoning at the table to give it a little kick, but I prefer it plain with rice and banchan.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 lb English-cut beef short ribs, cut into 2 inch squares
- 1/2 large Korea radish or 2 Chinese white radish, peeled and cut into 1 inch slices
- 4 oz sweet potato or glass noodles (dangmyun)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 scallions, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- For the seasoning sauce:
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp finely ground pepper
- Optional seasoning:
- kochukaru (chili powder)
- Soak the ribs in a bowl of cold water for about 1-2 hours to drain the blood, changing the water a couple times.
- Mix sliced radish with seasoning sauce.
- Place the ribs in a pot and cover with new water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer vigorously for 5 minutes.
- Remove ribs from pot and rinse any scum/oil off in cold water.
- In a large pot, cover ribs with 4 cups of new water.
- Bring to a boil, and then simmer over high heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the seasoned radish and the salt and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add the noodles and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add the sliced scallions and cook for another 1 minute.