Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 20 littleneck clams (less if you are using large clams), rinsed and scrubbed
- 1 pound fresh spinach, rinsed with thick stems trimmed. Chop coarsely or keep leaves intact
- 5 cups water
- 4 Tbsp daenjang (soybean paste)
- 1 tsp myulchi karu (anchovy powder, myeolchi garu)*
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- Blanch spinach for 30 seconds in boiling water.
- Drain spinach.
- Put 5 cups of water into large pot over high heat.
- Add bean paste to water gradually, using a whisk to dissolve if necessary.
- Add anchovy powder*, garlic, and scallions to broth and bring to a boil.
- Add spinach and clams and cook until clams open. Remove from heat.
*If you don't have or can't find anchovy powder, then you can also use a traditional Korean anchovy broth instead of the water. If you don't have the ingredients for that broth either, you can substitute beef broth.