Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 cups soybean sprouts, washed and if desired, roots trimmed
- 6 cups water or broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 scallion or bunch of chives (optional garnish)
- 1 Tbsp Korean red pepper powder (kochukaru) (optional)
- In a medium-sized pot, saute garlic in soy sauce and sesame oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and bean sprouts and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until you can smell the strong odor of bean sprouts cooking.
- If you're making the spicy version, add the red pepper powder 5 minutes before turning off the heat.
- If you're using scallions or chives to garnish, add to the pot at the end and then immediately take off heat.