Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- 1 oz dried seaweed (dried "seaplant" that looks like it's tangled, not the roasted seaweed sheets used for making kimbap or sushi rolls)
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cups soup stock*
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Rehydrate seaweed by placing in a large bowl and covering with water for 30 minutes. (Note: 1 oz of dried seaweed looks very small, but it rehydrates to about 2 cups)
- Drain seaweed, squeeze out excess water, and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- In soup pot over medium heat, sauté seaweed in sesame oil for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and soy sauce and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Pour stock into pot and turn heat to high.
- When soup begins to boil, turn down to simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the soup looks milky.
*Beef or anchovy stocks work well and vegetarians can use 1.5 cups vegetable stock and 1.5 cups of water.